Thursday, June 20, 2024

“Storms Ahead”


            Some months, I worry that I may need to return to substitute teaching to allow us to build a vacation fund or bank away enough money to remodel the bathrooms and update the kitchen. Then I remember how illness traveled with me as I went from classroom to classroom, school to school. Frankly, as I get older I don’t know if my body can take the pummeling various viruses battered through me. Would the extra money be worth exposing my health to illnesses that settle in my chest for weeks at a time?

            Frankly, a trip to the beach or mountains, to another city or another country doesn’t entice me to return to work. Although the house needs sprucing up here-and-there, everything works. No reason to gut a room if it also means picking up a bug that also guts me!

            My determination to remain fully retired took a punch last week when my husband’s company announced another round of layoffs happening soon. Our goal has been for him work until he’s 70 to pull in the highest Social Security benefit possible. If he ends up unemployed at 67, will his retirement income be enough?

            We frantically crunched all of the numbers, remembering that we’d have to pick up all of his medical insurance, and realized one or both of us would still need to work at least part-time, or begin tapping into our retirement funds earlier than we predicted.

            How can this be?

            Over the next few weeks, we’ll see how the dust settles. With luck, his position will remain untouched during this round of cuts. He’ll get to his goal of three more years with this company, and I won’t get thrown back to work.

            For now, we’re on alert for possible storms ahead.





 Copyright 2024 Elizabeth Abrams Chapman

           

               

 

No comments:

Post a Comment