Tuesday, June 4, 2024

“Cleanliness is Next to Obsessiveness”

 

 

            The other day, I theorized with a friend that the tangle of a childhood spent in base housing still impacts my life fifty years later. While some of my friends grew up surrounded by clutter, our military routine of moving every three or four years meant we traveled lean and mean. My mother never feared the demanding, detailed inspections of our housing since she cleaned everything all the time. She assigned me and my siblings age appropriate duties that were completed daily, weekly, or monthly. My sister’s expertise became dish washer extraordinaire. The iron became my weapon of choice as I stood for hours pressing Dad’s white handkerchiefs or the bed sheets that had wrinkled down into a tight ball.

            My siblings abhor housework. They both attend to the necessities: dishes, laundry, lawns, shopping. They managed, somehow, to escape the flaw I ironed into my personality. Before retiring from the classroom, I drove myself and my family into exhaustion by expecting everyone to reach my unrealistic standards for the house. Fingerprints never lasted on any painted wall. Base boards gleamed. No one ever checked over my door frames, because in real life, they don’t matter. But a white glove test could’ve been run at any time with perfect results.

            Doing less never worked for me. Letting things “go” slung me into anxiety attacks. As time passed, I can embrace the freedom of my husband and son having their space to putter in without going ballistic at their creative messes. Imagine my delight when I retrained my brain to close doors on rooms that are not my territory!

            In retirement, the grace of having time translates into set days for different chores. Monday we “market” with grocery runs and other errands. Tuesdays, if the weather’s not too hot or cold, go to either cleaning the car or doing yard work. Wash days are Wednesdays. Thursdays turned into the hardest day for me: NO CHORE THURSDAY. I read, watch television, and do only projects that bring me bliss. I hold onto Mom’s Friday drill: bathrooms top to bottom, dusting, and floors just in case unexpected company arrives.

            I’d like to say that my expectations have lightened up over the years, but then I’d be lying to everyone!     

 

Copyright 2024 Elizabeth Abrams Chapman

No comments:

Post a Comment