Wednesday, June 12, 2024

“Small Triumphs”

  

            These last few weeks add up to nothing super big or important happening. While some family and friends make life altering moves, I find myself happily relishing the smallest changes that don’t ripple to anyone else but myself.

            My first glory came when I finally found the perfect pair of sandals! My favorite sandals, from now long gone Payless Shoes, tore irreparably. I searched in frustration for replacements. Not too easy. Unlike most people, I cannot stand sandals that thong between my toes. Because I really walk in them, I need something with a back strap. I’ve tripped and twisted my knees enough over the years to know that I need a shoe that stays on my foot.

            As soon as stores started putting sandals out, I began my hunt. At this point in my life, a perfect pair of shoes can’t cost too much! One day, I swung by the Walmart racks. To be honest, I didn’t think I’d find anything. But then, there they were! Dangling from a hook, with crisscross straps over the top and a Velcro back strip to fasten them to my foot, the perfect shoe hung. I whipped off my heavy Skechers and slipped a piece of heaven onto my feet. Their unexpected cushiness coupled with the back strap’s security made my purchase decision an easy one. Added to their attraction? A $20.00 price tag!  Every week, I check out Walmart for these same shoes in other colors, but tan seems to be their only hue. I will purchase a couple more pair, even if they are exactly the same, because next summer they may not exist!

            My other small victory came when I mentioned that we need to find a bench for the front yard. Koi, now a wobbly fifteen-years-old, sometimes meanders to the mailbox to “check the mail” for us. During his younger years, he’d rush about marking bushes, edging onto our neighbor’s yards, and would dash back inside with a tempting call of “Cheese, cheese!” to lure him back. Although he still wants to do his daily venture out front, his slow pace means whoever watches him will be outside for a bit longer. A small bench would allow him to idle and dawdle.

            I started keeping watch for a bench to set under the Red Oak tree. We have plenty of places locally, plus a quick online search found us several possibilities that wouldn’t dint my budget. On a run to Academy, we spotted some lawn chairs on sale that we could also cluster under the tree. Going to the rear of the store to find more chairs, I spotted the perfect little blue metal bench. Comfortable, even without a cushion and something I can easily paint different colors if I want.  The best, small triumph? A marked down price of $30.00! I danced out of the store in excitement!   

 

Copyright 2024 Elizabeth Abrams Chapman

No comments:

Post a Comment