Thursday, May 23, 2024

“Finding My Voice Again”


            My way to hold onto sanity in a crazy world? Writing. My thoughts flow across the page, whether with pen to paper or fingers flying across the keyboard. Pages fill with my life observations, a narrow slice of my reality as I share bits and pieces of myself to some unknown audience. Sometimes a poem evolves, sometimes a story surfaces. Often, my thoughts and feelings, displayed over a once blank page, leave me puzzled

.

            Did I think that?

            Did I write that?

            Even when I didn’t think I had something to say, words would scatter across the page.

 

            For more than a year, the thought of writing, and sharing those words, burdened me. I realized recently that the January 6 United States Capitol attack silenced me, not immediately, but slowly as the stages of grief tangled up in relationships with family and friends. What do I take away from the friend who waved her hands skyward, praying for my soul to be saved, while she still supports a malevolent tyrant? Did I do mental bargaining with myself that this bond, now more than thirty years strong, could survive my disillusionment? Where do I go with the family members who scorn science and turn away from facts? My wallowing in anger at them changes nothing. They now reveal who and what they’ve been all along: selfish, mean, clannish, narcissists.

 

            Regaining my voice has happened slowly. The first step came with a public library card. Each visit, I select a favorite author, a totally “new-to-me” writer, and two pieces of non-fiction. My non-fiction tethers me back to my roots of in Psychology, enlarges my knowledge of physics or economics, and provides a new, better understandings of how we got to this point in history. I took another step by making certain those places I loved visiting before my years of caregiving became destinations again, like our local museums and the zoo. During the lockdown, my camera opened a view to the small details of life, and I continue focusing on my need to link photography with words.

 

            My voice comes out now because I have to write again.

 



Copyright 2024 Elizabeth Abrams Chapman

No comments:

Post a Comment