Monday, March 27, 2023

“My Favorite Field of Flowers”


             Last year, driving under Loop 1604 to head for St. Hedwig, new construction marred the once open farm land. Gas stations and fast food restaurants flanked the exit while signs for a new housing development promised homes starting at $200, 000. The road into the complex and three or four skeletons of large homes hinted that “progress” invaded our treasured rural area. For many springs, we’d take off on Saturday or Sunday mornings for a thirty mile loop from our house through St. Hedwig and over back roads until we circled back to Live Oak. During one of these treks, we discovered a stretch of road with a windmill and an endless field of flowers.

            This year, more signs of San Antonio sprawling east scarred the area. My heart hitched a beat or two as our usual route detoured due to construction on I10. The bare-boned houses from last year now stretched to the right in multiple streets of completed homes—all bold, ugly squares that scarred the landscape. I worried that my favorite field of flowers would now be plowed under.

            A turn down one road that winded eastward took us to the field and relief flooded my soul. The windmill still stood against the blue morning sky with its flowers a colorful blanket below it. I felt confident that the second wildflower spot, further down the road, would stretch along the lane. No new construction blemished this part of our drive. I don’t know what the future holds, but for now gratefulness fills me that this field of flowers remains untouched.







































Copyright 2023 Elizabeth Abrams Chapman         

 

No comments:

Post a Comment