Thursday, February 17, 2022

“Morning Musings”


Deer in the morning at the park





            Yesterday’s misty gloom slicked the roads and sidewalks, making me hesitant to venture outside. However, today’s glorious sunshine enticed me from bed by 8 AM.  I couldn’t wait to tie on my Skechers and head for the park. I can now actually walk from my house to the park, do the hiking loop there, and return home without a single nag from my knee. My snail’s pace slowness means joggers on the trail loop me, but every step I take makes me sing, “Victory!”



My son and nephew in 1988


Feeding the ducks in 1988















            With today’s trek, my mind slipped back to all of the times we’ve enjoyed our local park. Passing the mother with her pre-school kids playing on the equipment shot me back to walking my son to the park in his red, wooden wagon. As I looped around the pond, ducks and geese stirred to see if I carried any treats with me. The park now has trails that are paved or graveled in areas that in the past bore feet hardened tracks. When I stood atop the dam today, I saw the past views overlaid with the present.

            Gratitude fills me that we have this lovely place to hike. I love that the playgrounds and baseball and soccer fields get daily use. Disc golf enthusiasts and dog walkers join in with those who fish in the lake. The park’s past, present, and future mingle in my mind as I walked today.


Copyright 2022 Elizabeth Abrams Chapman




Spring wildflowers at the park



    

No comments:

Post a Comment