Saturday, January 21, 2023

“Rockport Respite”

Morning clouds

            The end of September, my sister called with an unexpected treat—a few days with her and her husband at her  favorite place, Rockport, Texas. Everyone I know spends time in this small beach town. For my sister, it represents rest and relaxation coupled with finding unique items at one of the many shops in town. Rockport is her place to annually indulge in sleeping late and eating out. Sometimes she fishes with her husband, but often she devours a stack of books that they always bring along.

            I’d never been to Rockport. Every year, various friends post pictures from their weekend adventures. Some rent places for the entire summer. A few have purchased their second homes in the small beach town. I couldn’t wait to experience the place so many people love wholeheartedly.

  


          As the rental house faced east, I bounced out of bed each morning in anticipation of catching the perfect sunrise. Cloud cover and rain lent interest to the first day. Each  day,   I walked along the road that hugged the beach, taking pictures of piers and rocks. A marshy area of shallow water mirrored the grasses and sky. A pelican pair swam nearby while seagulls ripped across the sky.

            Upon leaving this port of rest, I promised myself to make at least a day trip there soon.

 
















Copyright 2023 Elizabeth Abrams Chapman  

              

             

No comments:

Post a Comment