Tuesday, January 31, 2023

“Frozen in Place”

 


            Today’s freezing forecast for San Antonio reminds me of other January mornings when the city stopped because of ice or snow. Conditions that northerners barely register grind those of us in Central Texas to a standstill. The equipment to clear bridges and roads of ice or snow can hit many overpasses, but not enough to make driving safe.

            The current promise of flurries and ice makes me appreciate my retirement. The local news station reports ice on overpasses with freezing rain and drizzle on the highways right outside my door. My husband appreciates that instead of trekking across town for his drive pre-pandemic drive, he rolls from his warm bed to his computer. Remote work doesn’t stop for bad weather.

            A few miles north of me, the bridges and roads slick with a wintry mix. Being frozen in place hasn’t become a January tradition yet, but the once rare event comes more frequently with the impact of climate change to our area.

 

Copyright 2023 Elizabeth Abrams Chapman


January 13, 1985
 



 

 

    



No comments:

Post a Comment