Thursday, January 27, 2022

“Technical Difficulties”

  


            Not blogging for a year means I’ve barely touched my printer. The first attempt to print last week generated frustration. My computer and printer no longer recognized each other. A little bit of “this-n-that” and an adjustment to the network let them communicate again. The next problem came from a warning for more ink. That solution entailed a run to Best Buy to purchase the last ink cartridge in their stock.

            Today, I wanted to print two poems I needed to add to the hardcopy of my volume of original verses. Stupidly, I forgot to input which page to print. The printer hummed and began cranking out the entire one-hundred-forty-two pages. Cursing, I instructed my computer to stop the job while David jumped in and shut down the printer right in the middle of a page! That created another set of problems—paper jams. In all of the years we’ve had this printer, we’d never wedged any pages into the machine. We accessed the back by unplugging the entire thing and moving it to the bed to remove the stuck poem.

            Reattaching the printer, I commanded for only that one page to print. The warning about ink appeared and nothing happened. That special trip to Best Buy to buy that final cartridge never ended with the ink finding its way to the printer! Instead, it rested on the lower self of my husband’s desk, waiting patiently for installation. Unfortunately, swapping out the toner didn’t immediately solve the problem as my computer kept insisting that the ink was low. We decided to restart everything.

            Victory! I printed out the three poems to add to my closeted hardcopy.

 

Copyright 2022 Elizabeth Abrams Chapman

No comments:

Post a Comment