Tuesday, September 22, 2020

“Reading Habits”



            Whenever my book stack on my nightstand dwindles to two books, anxiety creeps into my day. In the past, I’d peruse local stores for paperbacks from any author. I use these less expensive choices to try writers unknown to me. We have The Book Rack, too. A small store snuggled into an ancient strip mall down by Randolph AFB. This shop sells and trades. I always have enough credit that often I pay a few dollars for half-a-dozen books. Binge reading all of the books by an author is one of the advantages of shopping in small shop because they specialize in carrying all of the writings from as many authors as possible. We have, too, a small public library. After the pandemic, I plan on volunteering there since I won’t be working any more.

            My son, our designated shopper, problem solved the issue of grabbing books for me. Whenever he enters our local HEB, he snaps a quick photo of their books and sends the picture to me. I’ve read several new novelists and returned to a few old favorites over the last few months. I delighted in The Andromeda Evolution, based on Michael Crichton’s notes and given life by Daniel H. Wilson. Paul also brought home The Guardians by John Grisham, an old favorite.

            One day an unexpected package arrived from a friend in Atlanta. She sent two books that she thought I’d enjoy. I chuckled in amusement over one title, as I had already read it. She definitely knows what I like to read. I am reading the other novel right now by a new-to-me author, Andrew Mayne. Yesterday, two more books arrived: Too Much and Never Enough-How My Family Created the World’s Most Dangerous Man, by Mary L. Trump, PhD. and the ever hilarious latest Janet Evanovich adventure with Stephanie Plum.

            Unlike many readers, I read only one piece at a time. I have friends and relatives reading multiple novels, biographies, and non-fiction tomes simultaneously. The thought of juggling multiple works throws me back to my college years where reading for pleasure almost met its death!  I linger over passages and marvel at unexpected nuances of characters. Sometimes, the writer in me steps back in awe at the perfection of one single word. In my mind, I believe reading one piece at a time gives homage to that author’s craft.

 

Copyright 2020 Elizabeth Abrams Chapman




No comments:

Post a Comment