Sunday, April 21, 2019

"Missing Mom and Dad"



            If you’ve lost your parents, you understand the total randomness of grief shifting from background to foreground. At unexpected times, I long for my parents’ humor, support, and unquestioning love. I wonder what advice they would give, what insight they’d have when I struggle with some miniscule ripple, or get pulled down and under by a catastrophic tidal wave of living.
            Next month, my husband and I celebrate our 40th anniversary. I imagine my parents’ funny card arriving in the mail box. I open the envelope to an added, handwritten note (sometimes Mom’s precise script, other times Dad’s bold scrawl), and find a check. The amount of money never mattered. It truly was the thought that counted.
            The tightness in my chest, the inability to inhale deeply under the weight of old grief, constricts me. For some reason, this year I hunger for another card in the mail. I ache to recognize the handwriting on an envelope. I feel loneliness and loss. 

Copyright 2019 Elizabeth Abrams Chapman

    



No comments:

Post a Comment