Wednesday, April 10, 2019

"A Dog's Life"

Koi with Baby



            Koi’s sharp yip reverberates through the front window while his tiny body bounces with anticipation of my arrival. My fumble of key in lock frustrates him into a body slam against the door. Upon opening the door, this little dog doesn’t jump against my legs. Instead, he dashes toward the family room, scoops one of his stuffed toys into his mouth, and zooms into the master bedroom. I drop my purse and tote and immediately give chase. Koi’s keep-away game rockets us back into the family room in a mad circle around the coffee table. Then I dash behind him in a loop back into the bedroom where he sails onto the bed, leaps back to the floor, and whips around the corner just ahead of my grasp. One final maneuver on my part, and I capture the toy from his mouth, pop open the back screened door, and hurtle the toy into the back yard. Koi propels himself over the threshold, scoops the toy back into his mouth, and slows down enough to pee on his favorite bush before following me to my swing.
            We linger under the tree. Sometimes I read. Other times I talk to my sister or brother. Koi barks at Calico Sal, the patched cat from across the street, or he rubs noses with the dog next door. Sometimes, he sits closer to my feet, his toy resting between his paws until I signal that it’s time to go inside.
            I love that Koi lives a pampered life of belly rubs and walks to the park. His little heart knows with certainty that the big black box in the kitchen holds deliciousness (chunks of cheese). He never doubts the invitation onto our bed each night where he’ll cuddle as he snoozes. Security and safety shelter him each day. He lives a splendid dog’s life.

Copyright 2019 Elizabeth Abrams Chapman


No comments:

Post a Comment