Friday, August 5, 2011

“Pet Peeves”

            I decided to generate a list of the top ten behaviors that irk me—just because. I haven’t ordered my list in any way. I wonder, though, if any of you also share the same irritants. Feel free to add to my list with your comments!

I hate it when people: 

greet me like I’m a long lost relative with effusive hugs when  I know it’s all for show 


agree to be at a certain place at a certain time, show up late (or not at all) and then act annoyed because I’m upset 



swear (usually in front of other people) that they’ll gladly help, and then cancel when it’s too late for me to line up someone else 



preface their criticisms with, “It’s nothing personal, but . . .” and then blast me with a long list of very personal things they’d like me to change

 
dump their problems on me and never offer a reciprocal dumping of my woes 


expect me to be a good person at all times (loving, generous, thoughtful, forgiving) while they can treat me with nastiness 



deny me my right to speak my views because I’m too different from them; yet want me to listen without rebuttal to their diatribes   



preach to the choir (a favorite in educational circles). If you have a problem with something someone says/does, speak privately and directly to that person 



brag about their lives in an effort to exclude me from it 



know what is right; yet choose to do wrong 


Copyright 2011 Elizabeth Abrams Chapman

No comments:

Post a Comment