Thursday, April 30, 2015

"Saturday in the Swing"


Saturday in the swing    
            serenaded with cicada song     
                        and the chuck-chuck-chuck      
                                    of chiding squirrels    
                                                I float    
                                    aimless—and appreciative    
                                                of quiet moments spent swaying    
My dog calls greeting to our neighbor    
            rolling her Rs like that old Ruffles commercial    
                        she’s a sentry    
                                    sniffing out lizards    
A breeze plays with my writing paper    
            dances the words among the shadows    
                        cast from sun and leaves    
                                    making me dizzy in the Texas heat    
A paw taps my knee   
            accompanied by a whine    
                        I’m abandoned    
                                    for central air    
Moisture collects      
            on the back of my neck    
                        on upper lip      
                                    around my hairline     
                                                behind my knees    
I inhale humidity    
            yet I linger    
                        savoring my Saturday in the swing    

Copyright 2011 Elizabeth Abrams Chapman


 

No comments:

Post a Comment