Wednesday, June 4, 2014

"Summer Begins"



Summer begins     
shedding stress by      
lusting for Father Ralph     
I become Meggie   
slipping into heartbreak       
reliving my own devotion   
veiling my Catholic guilt under Italian lace  
missal clutched in small, white-gloved hand   
crystal Rosary, blessed by Pius XII,    
soothing my restless fingers    
his Irish brogue a supple song 
his blue eyes like laughter 
he kneels before me, eye-to-eye   
proposes a date   
he’ll be my father—   
a surrogate breaking bread  
erasing my disappointment 
drying my tears with his finger tips 
tugging my hand to the crook of his arm   
his brilliance dazzles me
my heart worships him   


Copyright 2011 Elizabeth Abrams Chapman

Every summer, to "come down" from the stress of the school year, I'd retreat into The Thorn Birds for a week. I'd either dust off the novel and reread it, or I'd pull down the series. Either way, the hours spent with these characters put distance between me and my work.


No comments:

Post a Comment