Saturday, July 14, 2012

"Saturday in the Swing"




Saturday in the swing   
      serenaded with cicada song   
           and the chuck-chuck-chuck    
                of chiding squirrels   
I float   
      aimless—and appreciative   
           of quiet moments spent swaying   
My dog calls greeting to our neighbor   
     rolling her Rs like that old Ruffles commercial   
          she’s a sentry   
               sniffing out lizards   
A breeze plays with my writing paper   
     dances the words among the shadows   
           cast from sun and leaves   
                making me dizzy in the Texas heat   
A paw taps my knee   
      accompanied by a whine   
           I’m abandoned   
                for central air   
Moisture collects     
      on the back of my neck   
           on upper lip   
                around my hairline   
                     behind my knees   
I inhale humidity   
      yet I linger   
           savoring my Saturday in the swing   

Copyright 2011 Elizabeth Abrams Chapman

No comments:

Post a Comment